As a complementary section to thethe above comment on Kilkenny City's heritage (Archictectural & historical sites) are photographed & described here. Note the overgrown remaining portion of the city's walls (New St) photo 10, Restoration is now complete but the outer stone wall is demolished.
Photo 17 is a sunny Elevated View of St Mary's Cathedral James Street.
Photographs 14 & 15 show the memorial inscriptions in St Canice's COI Cathedral to the soldiers & Royal Navy Sailors from the area who died in WWI.
An inscription reads: 'To the Glory of God & in Loving Memory of the Follwing members of The Diocese of Ossary Who Gave Their Lives for Their Country in the Great War 1914-1919.......'
St Canice's cathedral is also the burial place of the 19thC British Military hero, Major General Sir Denis Pack, There is a fine marble memorial with a lengthy detailed inscription on his career.
Photo 4is The Medieval Statue of The Most Holy Trinity AD.1400
Kilkenny City Council Sponsored Destruction of Heritage
Despite a prolonged campaign by Kilkenny citizens with thousands of signatures collected & presented,to the council, the expert opinion of local & national academics, senior archaeologists etc, No 21 & 22 Vicar Street, Kilkenny have now been demolished.
Kilkenny will now have a new large concrete bridge, being the centrepiece of the Central access Scheme or ‘CAS’ slicing through the old city.
With this demolition goes a centuries old city streetscape in close proximity to the medieval St Canice’s Cathedral & Round tower.
As with other previous planning applications, this was deemed acceptable to An Taisce on condition that the gable wall of No 22 Vicar St was retained. The building apparently has no medieval fabric except for its gable end wall !
Kilkenny city, especially during the property boom ‘Celtic tiger’ years has suffered an enormous loss of its original archictectural fabric.
A new planning & development regime has sanctioned numerous large shopping centres, multi-story car parks etc, all built inside the old medieval walls area of the old city.
18th & 19thC buildings in the city seem to have no preservation or heritage value. A walk through high street reveals ultra modern shop fronts everywhere, mostly very brightly coloured, needless to say these buildings have been completely gutted & 'refitted' inside.
GEORGIAN town houses in Kieran’St (For Dunnes Stores) again front walls retainedbut remainder of these buildings DEMOLISHED
The former‘Tyler’s Boots Shop in High St. (Built circa 1840 & Listed) DEMOLISHED
The Presentation Convent in James's St.(Built AD 1800) DEMOLISHED
Black Friar’s Bridge (12thC) DEMOLISHED’.
Iron & cast-iron railings at the Parade & also in James’s Green removed.
All of Kilkenny City’s quaint narrow laneways & side streets filled with modern appartments, etc etc
Going Back Further:.......
An entire row of single storey town houses opposite the Black Abbey dating from the 1880s DEMOLISHED - Now a paying car park.
Kilkenny's Fine Victorian Jail DEMOLISHED
The Imperial Hotel, Rose - Inn St DEMOLISHED
The National Bank, Parliament St, A beautiful cut stone building. DEMOLISHED
Dean Street (Widened & Rebuilt in the 1980s) , This entire street on both sides - DEMOLISHED
PVC street signs everywhere - why not commission new cast- iron signs or once again & better still, leave the original signs in place!
What can you say about the dreadful remodelling of the parade area, apparently in Chinese granite in the ‘marble city’ with large numbers of stainless steel bollards placed all along the front perimeter of the castle.
A fatally flawed long term planning & development policy has seen kilkenny lose much of its old character
In this modern enlightened era however to continue this policy of economic development over heritage is beyond scandalous & shows the need to urgently take all responsibility for Kilkenny city’s conservation away from these people, or No 21 & 22 Vicar St will Not be the last part of our local heritage to be arbitrarily destroyed.
Images of the actual demolition & messages written on the perimiter boardings, March 2015.